While Lachlan was sick the other day, I used our thermometor to check his temperature. It was your standard digital ear thermometor. He would not stay still for anything, and I kept getting error messages on the thing. That, along with the fact that I thought Lach may have an ear infection, caused us to say to ourselves…..”Isn’t there a better way to do this???” The poor guy definitely didn’t want something jammed in his ear when he was feeling so crappy, and I certainly wasn’t going to poke something up his bum. And, underarm thermometors…? How reliable are they, really??? This led us to the store, where we found the E.xergen Temporal Artery Thermometor. Wow. Talk about an ingenius product!!! It seriously takes 2 seconds to do, and is easy and accurate. You put the thermometor in the middle of your baby/child’s forehead, press the button (hold it) and and move it to the side of their face…let go…and voila! Accurate temperature with no hassle (or tears). This got me thinking about the baby products that I love, the ones that Lach loves, and items I feel we just couldn’t live without. Thought I would post my list. I am changing how I buy baby shower gifts now, because some of these products I seriously think every new parent should own. What do you guys think of my 10? What would be on your list?
1. E.xergen Temporal Artery Thermometor. So easy and extremely accurate. #1 on the list! I’ll seriously never use another thermometor.
2. B.oon “Squirt” Baby Food Dispensing Spoon. This thing is awesome. No mess, easy to use, holds a lot of food and great for parents on the go.
3. S.kip H.op “Playspot” Play Mat. – PVC free….No harsh chemicals….no smell! 100% safe for babies 0+. Most of the points are for it being PVC-free and not being cheesetastic and having cool modern colors that you won’t be embarassed about having out in your house…the rest for functionability. Helps prevents bumps and bruises when your little ones are learning to sit up on their own (and subsequently falling over).
4. B.oppy. This breastfeeding pillow has been a fav of new moms for a long time….and now I know why. I have used it from day one, to now. I own THREE. One at work, one in the car and one at home. I love this product….and it’s not just for breastfeeding….I am using it right now as my lap top is sitting on it on my lap!
5. E.ric Carle’s “Brown Bear Touch ‘N Read Block”. Lachlan’s favourite toy. Period.
6. Baby Carrier. B.jorn to begin with….then the E.rgo when your baby is older. I loved loved loved the B.jorn for how easy it was to put on and take off, and I know Lach was comfy in it….but after about 15 pounds….your back is shot and needs serious help! The E.rgo is an awesome carrier…kids can be worn in front, on hip or on back. It’s pricey, but worth it if you carry your baby lots of places like we do.
7. F.isher Price “Rainforest” Jumperoo. Lachlan started using it at 3 months and still loves it. It is sturdy, and one of the better looking jumperoo’s out there, in my opinion. Has gotten awesome ratings from other mamas too.
8. B.umbo baby seat. We used this ALL THE TIME when Lach was younger and we would go out to restaurants. He was still too small for a high chair (he would tip over to one side) and didn’t want to lay down in a car seat or in my arms. We would actually put this seat right up on the table or booth and he would sit in it for a good amount of time. Once he started grabbing at everything (the salt and pepper were first on the list), we stopped using it.
9. E.LMO LIVE! We splurged and Lachlan is in love. He dances, he makes jokes and most of all, he loves you…mmm hmm..kiss kiss!
10. Pacifier/Binkie, etc. A must-have for naps and bedtime. Lachlan doesn’t use it all the time, but it really comes in handy when he needs to sleep or is upset.
11? We just ordered an Amber Teething Necklace for Lachlan. I have heard awesome things about the healing power of amber, and hope that this will help alleviate some of his teething pain. He has YET to get a tooth in…..
Honourable mention #1: Activity mat. We had the “Rainforest” one…but I’m not sure that part matters as much as just having one. It really was fun for Lach and encouraged tummy time.
Honourable mention #2: BOOKS. Too many to name….but Lachlan adores being read to…especially Dr. S.euss.