I realized this morning that it’s been some time since I wrote an adequate “update” post. Really, I feel like nothing overly exciting and blogworthy has been happening in our lives….but at the same time…..life feels like it’s speeding by…..(we’re almost to the third trimester) ….. we’ve been busy and I really have missed writing about all the “little things” that have happened – blogworthy or not.
Is it bad if I update you all in bullets again? Okay, I’ll do it in numbers for a change.
1. The Baby Shower. A friend of ours is helping Karli and I plan it…but she hasn’t really helped much yet…which is okay. She’s offered to help set up decorations, etc, and that works out fine for us. K and I have been working on the list of those to invite. We have most everyone’s address now, and we have almost completed hand-writing all 74 invitations. We expect some folks won’t be able to come (especially those out-of-state) but wanted all our friends and family to feel included regardless. We have decided to have it at a local restaurant and rent out a private area. We’ll have cake, fruit & veggie trays, chicken and vegetarian quesadillas, chips and salsa….and maybe a few other goodies. We’re having fun planning it…and really looking at it more like it’s a party, than a traditional baby shower. We’re a “non-traditional” couple/family, so why not have a non-traditional shower, right?? All our best guy and gal friends will be there, and I’m just excited. It’s going to be great to share our excitement with the people we care about most. It will be in early November….making me (I think) 33-34 weeks preggo. Yikes! I’m feeling pretty big already….can’t imagine how much this baby will grow in the next 10 weeks!
2. My physical ailments!!! Ha! I’ve developed carpel-tunnel syndrome in my right wrist (caused by pregnancy) and am wearing a wrist guard/brace at all times. I look a bit retarded….but what can you do. I also have gotten a very painful ganglion cyst in my left wrist….which has been uncomfortable and has hurt like heck. All this has kept me off the computer for some time. On Friday, I finally got so fed up with it, I asked K to smash my wrist into the wall. I kid you not. I was going to do the whole Bible/hard book slapped against it, but couldn’t stomach to do it myself. K did it quickly after the count of 3….and I screamed so loudly and the pain was something awful. BUT, it did the trick and the nasty cyst is GONE. I have a lovely greenish-yellowish bruise that has replaced it, but hey, it’s here no more!! On the cankles front, they seem to be much better than they were earlier in my pregnancy. I think it’s helped that I’m not standing on my feet for long periods of time like I was before. It’s great to feel like you have ankles again – I even got a pedicure yesterday
3. My weight. I haven’t weighed myself since our last midwife appointment – I had gained 12 lbs at my 20 week apt last month. I’ve been scared of the scale ever since my belly has popped and have just decided to only weigh at the midwife’s. Done.
4. Nursery. We’re narrowing down baby furniture choices. This is a good thing! K and I both have felt stressed….like we haven’t made many of the “big decisions” when it came to the nursery. She wasn’t seeing anything she liked. Well, we both really like 2 sets. They’re both dark-wood and modern…..pictures to come once we’ve decided what the heck we’re going to do. We have all his bedding already (we bought off of e.bay several months before we got pregnant) and a lot of the decoration-type stuff for the room. Again, pictures to come soon as we have not begun to even set up the nursery.
5. The ultrasound. Our final ultrasound is in a little over 4 weeks. How excited am I??? Ridiculously excited. I just can’t wait to see him again and get some new pictures!! He’s going to be so much bigger……
6. Thoughts on our son being a future Olympian. I no longer feel the little butterfly wings or “bubbles” I used to feel. Oh no. This boy is active. He kicks me all the time! Last night K said it really felt like a hand or foot, not just any movement. How wild. Also, last week when my boy was moving around, I looked down at my belly and SAW it move. I was in awe. I think I stared at my belly for the next hour. Seriously. There have been several nights where I just can’t sleep because I’m so excited to just feel or see him move. This is the most amazing thing….truly. Our little man must be getting big, because I’m feeling him all.the.time recently…..it’s so cool. Either that, or he just knows that it’s the closing ceremonies of the Olympics soon, and he’s trying to complete every sport – inside my belly.
7. Sleeping. It’s starting to be a bit of a struggle, even with the body pillow. He is kicking me, or I just can’t get comfortable no matter what I do. My back is beginning to tell me it’s feeling the extra weight which doesn’t help at night. I miss sleeping on my stomach so badly, and try to sleep on my side with one of my hip bones down into the mattress (trying to make myself believe I’m sleeping my on my side) Any suggestions welcome!
8. My family. Someone posted awhile back about why I haven’t written about them. It’s a whole other post that one day I hope I have the strength to write about. But, the short details are that I have a mom and dad and five older brothers that I love very much….however, they don’t approve (to put it lightly) of my “lifestyle” and don’t know I’m pregnant. We rarely speak……..but again, that’s a whole other post.
This morning K and I had a lovely brunch together…..I actually don’t think we mentioned the baby once. We chatted about our anniversary (November 28th), Christmas and work, laughed, and just enjoyed our time together. I love this girl. I ordered a large chocolate milk (I have really craved this all throughout the pregnancy, I’ll be kicking myself later when I have a BIG baby!) and an egg & cheese sandwich. We had hashbrowns and fruit and it was wonderful. I wish I could afford to go to brunch every day, don’t you?
I’m starting to work on my birthing playlist…..for what may be those endless (seeming) hours of labour at home. I have discovered 2 new songs I am currently loving. Enjoy!